Monday, October 6, 2014

Toaster's Ramblings - Playing Smash Bros. 3DS



So I got the new Super Smash Bros. for the 3DS. I haven't played it a ton yet, I was busy trying to get some writing done on my novel for the Writer's Workshop this Saturday. However, I've played it for an hour or so. My initial impressions are that the game is pretty amazing. It's honestly what you'd expect from Smash Bros... except smaller.

I have 2 problems with the game so far. The first is that I am having a little trouble adjusting to the button configuration of the 3DS. I am used to the Gamecube controller for Super Smash Bros, so having less buttons to work with is hard. I get confused as to which button does what... which really sucks when you need that super jump to avoid falling to your death and you press the "punch" button. Also, there are more button combinations to remember with less buttons. Charging your energy weapon (like Samus does) requires a pressing B and the D pad in the direction you want to fire, but it has to be done in a certain way or you will just shoot the gun. I'm adjusting, but it's a learning curve to get back to the skill level that I had with Brawl.

The other problem I have is that the screen size can be difficult. When the camera zooms out, you have a tough time keeping track of which little moving guy you are as opposed to the other 3 moving guys and all the other flotsam and jetsam on the screen (objects, assist trophies, Pokemon... etc.) A few times I thought I was one guy when in reality I was falling to my death, and vice versa. Now the game does have a red "tag" that hovers over your character to help, but amidst the super fast action going on, it's not always easy to look up and make sure you are actually controlling who you think you are.

That said, the game-play is definitely Smash Bros. It looks and feels the same as the console versions. The movement is fluid, the action is fast and intense. It's really just Super Smash Bros. shrunk into a portable size game.

I haven't had a chance to play all of the new characters yet (some still have to be unlocked). I have most enjoyed Mega Man (no surprises there). He has some awesome attacks and his super jump being assisted by his robo-dog Rush is a great touch. Pac Man is interesting. I like his "chomp mode" attack where he turns into his classic arcade look to bite his opponents. Little Mac is a lot of fun to play. He is fast and has some great striking attacks including a jumping uppercut that would make Street Fighter Ryu's jaw drop. Robin seems cool, but is kind of a finesse character with his various magic spells. Shulk feels a little like Robin to me as he can switch between battle modes, but he has a cool energy sword.  Greninja is also really fun. He's like a super fast water-bending ninja frog. He may be my new Star Fox (one of my go-to characters).

I have not played Palutena, Rosalina, Villager or Wii Fit Trainer yet and I have yet to unlock Lucia, Duck Hunt Dog, Bowser Jr. or any of those really. The only character I have unlocked so far is Wario, which I accomplished by winning the 100 Man Battle.  It will be fun to unlock the rest, I just hope there's nothing stupid hard to open any of them, like defeat 10 men in Cruel Melee mode... I can't take out even 1!

So for those who have a 3DS, I recommend picking up Super Smash Bros. I also look forward to getting the Wii U version... someday. Who knows, it may be released next month in time for Black Friday. Or it may be delayed until next year. If that's the case, the 3DS version will hold me over until then.

No comments:

Post a Comment