Monday, September 12, 2011

TiVoGirl Breaks Down the New Fall Schedule Pt. 2


THURSDAYS
            ABC will air their Charlie’s Angels remake, followed by Grey’s Anatomy and Private Practice.  Charlie’s Angels just looks bad.  I have to wonder why the networks keep remaking shows that were popular in yesteryear.  People’s tastes have changed, something that was funny in the 90s (Home Improvement) is eye-roll-inducing today.  I will not be giving this one an episode because I just don’t care. 
Grey’s Anatomy I abandoned after the episode with the ghost sex, poo transplant, and the intern trying to perform her own appendectomy.  I heard the show re-found its way, but it’s kind of like an ex-boyfriend: yeah, it’s great you cleaned up your shit, I’m really happy for you, but I’ve moved on. 
Private Practice seemed over the top from day one, and I didn’t make it past a few episodes.
            CBS kicks things off with The Big Bang Theory, a show that kind of lost me at the laugh track.  A line that makes you smile is nice.  A line that makes you smile and makes the “audience” fall over laughing just makes you think about how little you’re laughing.  It’s about geeks, so it should be right up my alley, but with so much else to watch I probably won’t check it out again. 
After Big Bang, they’ll debut How to be a Gentleman, another show that looks absolutely atrocious.  The preview clip CBS aired was all I needed to see of this one. 
At 9:00, they’ll air JJ Abrams’ Person of Interest, which I will only watch because JJ Abrams’ name is attached.  I haven’t heard the best reviews, and, despite the slight Sci-Fi twist, it seems like it will be your average case-of-the-week procedural.  So I don’t know that I’ll stick with it past my initial sampling, though I wish it well. 
Following Person of Interest, CBS will air The Mentalist.  Another innocuous procedural, so not much to say (though I love when Psych, who had the idea first, and made it much more fun, references this show).
            NBC will bring back Community, another show that Toaster (and the rest of the world) seem to like more than I do.  I find it funny.  I like it.  I just don’t love it.  There are great episodes (the Dungeons and Dragons one, for instance), but most episodes the characters just seem like people that I probably wouldn’t be friends with.  So I’m not so emotionally invested in their problems (though they’re still funny). 
I am, however, emotionally invested in Parks and Recreation, the best comedy on TV right now.  There’s an underlying sweetness to Parks and Rec that I really love, and it helps to keep the characters (like the awesome Ron-F-ing-Swanson) from becoming too one-note.  I’m genuinely invested in the relationship between Leslie and Ben, and absolutely adore April and Andy.  I love the friendship and respect that underlie Ron and Leslie’s interactions, despite the fact that they are political polar opposites.  Heck, I love just about anything to do with Ron-F-ing Swanson. 
At nine, I’m hoping The Office can still be good without Carell.  The Finale last year did not leave me hopeful, but if we can get more episodes like “Dwight Schrute, Acting Manager,” I’ll definitely be watching. 
After The Office, NBC will debut Whitney, which doesn’t look all that funny based on the previews I’ve seen.  I’ll probably watch an episode, or at least part of one. 
At ten, NBC will air Prime Suspect, which I’ll probably watch an episode of to make sure it’s another innocuous procedural that can be ignored, rather than something better.  From what I’ve heard, they’ve massively toned down the personal problems of the Maria Bello character from the BBC original, and have gone from a case-per-season to a case-per-week format, so I’m not hopeful.
            FOX will air The X Factor results, followed by a shortened season of Bones, to accommodate Emily Deschanel’s pregnancy.  This show kind of fell off my radar near the end of last season, but I’m glad they finally got Booth and Bones together, and am intrigued at the thought of them having a baby.  If I can find the time, I want to watch last season’s finale and maybe get back into this.  The shortened season makes it easier for me to make another attempt to commit to this show.
            The CW will air The Vampire Diaries and new show The Secret Circle.  I attempted to watch The Vampire Diaries when it first premiered, but lost interest.  There were just too many better things I could be watching.  I’ve heard it’s gotten better, but it sounds a little too soapy for me – I don’t need another guilty pleasure.  The Secret Circle looks very much like Vampire Diaries with witches, so while I’ll check out the first episode, I suspect I won’t stick with it for long.  I like Thomas Dekker, though.
            The other show I’ll be watching on Thursdays is Project Runway, which is partway though its season on Lifetime.  I’m still pissed at the judges for choosing Gretchen over Mondo last season, but I couldn’t manage to drop this show.  There are a few good designers this year, though it’s probably not a good sign that I don’t have a clear favorite yet (maybe Anthony Ryan or Anya, but I’m not completely sold on either).  At least the “villains” are redeemable, fully-dimensional human beings, so I’m not actively rooting for anyone’s demise.

FRIDAYS
            ABC will air Extreme Makeover: Home Edition, which I think I’d like a lot more if it aired on HGTV and didn’t feature so much soft music and crying.  This will be followed by Shark Tank, and 20/20.  Needless to say, I don’t plan to tune in to ABC on Friday nights (which is sad, because I have semi-fond memories of TGIF, though I probably wouldn’t like any of them today).
            CBS will air A Gifted Man, which I will probably watch an episode of to see if it’s the new Eli Stone.  It almost certainly won’t be.  After that they have CSI: NY and Blue Bloods.
            NBC will air the final season of Chuck followed by new show Grimm, then Dateline NBC.  I’ve intermittently watched Chuck throughout the years, and I may try to pick it up again for its swan song.  Chuck is harmless and fun, and would be a great show on USA, but I find myself wishing there was something deeper, or that the show was funnier.  Regardless, I recognize that it’s a good show, with a loyal and passionate fanbase, and I hope it goes out with a bang. 
Grimm, on the other hand, looks not to be very much fun at all.  And it looks to be a procedural in genre clothing.  Which could be good if it were executed well, but the reviews do not make me hopeful.  It will probably get an episode before being purged from my TiVo.  Airing against Fringe and Supernatural, I doubt it will be long before it’s purged from NBC’s schedule as well.
            FOX will air Kitchen Nightmares and Fringe.  Fringe really kicked it up a notch the second half of Season Two, and the time spent Over There last season kept the show on a roll.  I am really looking forward to this show, though I hope they don’t keep Peter out of the timeline forever.
            The CW will air Nikita and Supernatural.  I watched some Nikita last year and it was fine, but I wasn’t loving it, and eventually it fell off my radar.  If time permits, I may check back in this season. 
I will be watching Supernatural, though probably after first watching time-slot competitor Fringe.  Since Eric Kripke stepped down as showrunner, the show hasn’t felt the same.  Or maybe it was just half a season of soulless Sam kind of screwed up my feelings towards him.  I still like the show, and it has the potential to really suck me in, but last season we weren’t quite connecting.

SATURDAYS
            CBS will air Rules of Engagement.  Why?  Because they felt like spending money to air a bad show in a dead time period?  Not sure, but, like most of America, I will soon forget that there is original network programming on Saturday nights.

            So, this is a lot longer than the brief post I had intended.  I will continue to post my thoughts about TV and TV-related-news as I feel inspired (or, assuming I get actual readers, as I feel nagged) to do so.  Toaster and I will probably make an occasional podcast, and I will likely guest in a few Wasting Our Lives podcasts.
            Until next time…

No comments:

Post a Comment